Saturday, April 13, 2013

Beautiful Creatures Review



4 out of 5 cupcakes
bookshelves: ya fantasy, ya supernatural

I'm usually a little hesitant to review a book in a series before I've finished the series, but I'm also a firm believer in novels being able to stand on their own (even when they're part of a series). I think there should be a beginning and an end, even if I know there are more novels to follow. I do not like cliffhangers that force me to go out and buy the next book. Beautiful Creatures is not a cliffhanger series. It does wrap up the ending in enough of a way that I did not feel frustrated.


The pros of the book are many. The characters are well developed, and I did love the POV coming from a teenage male, which is something new for me. The dynamic characters are well-described, and their actions are realistic given the circumstances. The Dark characters do feel dark and sinister without being overly dramatic or making me giggle with their silly, overly evil dialoguing.

The cons of the book are few. Without giving out any spoilers, I feel the end of the book and the moon scene is a little confusing and almost anti-climactic. I realize there is a second book that will probably answer my questions, but I did feel as though we barreled through to the ending, and I had to reread a few paragraphs to figure out what had happened.

Overall, it's an enjoyable and fast read. I haven't seen the movie yet, but after finishing the novel, I think I might check it out. I would definitely recommend this to others, especially readers interested in strong characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment