Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Paradise Lost


Paradise Lost

Words I’ve never read
not in its entirety.
But I can’t see it or think of it
and not have you come dancing into view.
Without meaning to, I think of your smile
then your smirk
then the time I hit you,
and suddenly I’m not sorry you and I forked in the road,
you going your way, me going mine.


 
I think of gardens,
and there you are again,
rising up like a daisy,
calling me a columbine growing
out of a rock,
making the unattractive beautiful
just by being me and being
resilient

your favorite flower, just the same.

I think of the peppermint phlox
that I loved but didn’t survive
the harsh August when water was necessary
and I was absent.
So it died,
and I left it in its pot, thinking maybe
it would come back,
maybe it would live again

like I kept thinking about our relationship.
And neither one ever happened.
Flatlined, that’s what we did

You, me, and the peppermint phlox.

Paradise seems like something
that happened to us.
Maybe that one day when we knew
if the world stopped,
left us alone,
we would be perfect.
But days don’t stop, not even when we beg
or laugh or cry;
and you and I only locked every other week;
the days in between were muddy,
tainted, like sugar in your veins,
Tired, like lying in the grass and wishing
for a try again,
knowing we had already lost.


No comments:

Post a Comment