Friday, December 28, 2012

When Bad Word Choice Happens to Good People

For writers, word choice is critical. Joseph Joubert wrote, "Words, like glass, obscure when they do not aid vision." Words are meant to convey meaning or illicit feelings in our readers. Words should clarify rather than obscure. Bad word choice can be detrimental, but it can also be hilarious.



While sitting in a worship service, a man stepped up to the pulpit to say a prayer. Like most everyone in attendance, I bowed my head and tried to focus on the words of the prayer instead of thinking about the grocery list or the fact that my foot itched. His words were kind and thankful and full of hope. The prayer flowed easily, until he asked God to "hoover around us."

I imagined God pushing a vacuum, cleaning up after His children (and I suppose this is metaphorically true). Then I snickered and immediately tried to fake a cough. I imagined my 10-year-old self sitting in church being smacked on the knee by my best friend's mom with the rolled up bulletin.

I covered my mouth and opened my eyes. A man across the aisle watched me. He smirked, mimed vacuuming, and we shared a secret smile.

It's a great big world out there, and there are a few million words to choose from, so choose wisely.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I'm sitting here laughing out loud. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete